This term in Lagoon Class...
Autumn Term 2:
This half term we are steaming ahead with the Egyptians topic which we began just before half term. The children are really enjoying learning all about the fascinating civilization of ancient Egypt. They are rapidly developing their knowledge of the geography of the region using a range of maps, as well as gaining a greater understanding of how to carry out historical research. They are especially excited about the rather messy business of making and painting death masks!
Towards the end of this half term we will be moving on to a science project on sound, which fits in very nicely with the Christmas pantomime production we want to try out this year. So look out for scripts that will be coming home shortly and please help your children learn their lines. We will be writing to you in December for a bit of help with costumes, but we will keep them simple!
A few housekeeping points:
- Homework remains as Maths one week and Literacy the next, generally handed out on a Tuesday and due in the following Tuesday. Most weeks there are also spellings to practice and so do keep an eye out for these. Please also encourage your children to read regularly.
- See this section of the website for suggestions about books and authors that are a good quality and a manageable challenge for year 3.
- PE has changed slightly and will be on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, but children should have their PE kit in every day, in case we have an unexpected extra lesson. For the avoidance of doubt PE kit should be black shorts, white T shirt and plimsolls. Girls must have socks to wear, not tights please.
- As always please do come and see me if anything concerns you in relation to anything at all in year 3. I can usually have a quick word before school and can nearly always make myself available after school.
- Finally we have Ms Ruble with us this half term, our student teacher. I am sure most of you have met her on the gate. She is really enjoying working with year 3 and she has been working with small groups for some time. She will begin to take on more whole class teaching, this term this will primarily be for topic work and PSHE.
Mrs Palmer - Year 3 teacher